Title: Droll Stories
Author: Honoré de Balzac, J. Lewis May (trans), Elaine Raphael/Don Bolognese (illus)
Publisher: The Franklin Library, 1978
Condition: Full leather, dark red. 22K gold gilt. Like new.
About the edition:
A beautiful collector’s edition, this book features:
- Full deep red top-grade leather binding
- Genuine 22k gold gilt to all edges, front design, spine, and back
- Silk moire endsheets
- Satin bookmark, sewn-in
- Hubbed spine with 5 raised bands
- Smyth-sewn binding for durability
- Premium acid-neutral archival paper that will not yellow
About the book:
An entertaining collection of stories by Balzac, written between 1832 and 1837 and well-known for their vulgar humour – in this sense Balzac broke away from the literary traditions of his time, causing quite a stir with what was deemed morally and politically incorrect. This collection was banned in many parts of the world, including in Canada and Ireland, because it was considered pornographic and covered topics such as necrophilia and bodily functions, on top of the topic of adultery. Easy to read and unpretentious, especially compared to most other 1800s novels.