This book features:
- Full premium tooled black leather binding
- Genuine 22k gold gilt to all edges, front design, spine, and back
- Silk moire endsheets
- Satin bookmark, sewn-in
- Hubbed spine with 3 raised bands
- Smyth-sewn binding for durability
- Premium acid-neutral archival paper that will not yellow
Goethe completed a preliminary version of Part One in 1806. The 1808 publication was followed by the revised 1828–1829 edition, which was the last to be edited by Goethe himself. Prior to these appeared a partial printing in 1790 of Faust, a Fragment. The earliest forms of the work, known as the Urfaust, were developed between 1772 and 1775; however, the details of that development are no longer entirely clear.
Goethe finished writing Faust Part Two in 1832, the year of his death. In contrast to Faust Part One, the focus here is no longer on the soul of Faust, which has been sold to the devil, but rather on social phenomena such as psychology, history and politics, in addition to mystical and philosophical topics. The second part formed the principal occupation of Goethe’s last years and appeared only posthumously in 1832.